Monday, January 30, 2012

Mixing it up for my cravings...

So when I was pregnant with my little girl (who, by the way, is 17 months now), I was having cravings for Butterfinger mixes. And the craving has continued, because hey! Butterfinger is just so good in soft, vanilla ice cream. I love to get it at Sonic or my favorite Okie ice cream place, Braum's.

We've been really trying to get our finances (and our waistlines) in order, and I knew the first place I needed to cut was going out to eat or for treats. And to encourage myself to do this, we're trying to recreate our fast food favorites at home on the nights we would have gone out (and make them a little healthier, if we can swing it). Well, that craving was back, so I set out to make it at home. Now this is NOT Butterfinger ice cream or a Butterfinger shake. Those totally didn't do it for me. I loved the soft-serve stuff with the chunks of candy bar freshly mixed in. And I found a pretty good substitute:



This was so easy it's ridiculous. Pull out your blender, some vanilla ice cream (I actually got the low-fat, lowest-priced stuff at Wal-Mart and it worked great) and four or five fun-size Butterfingers.

I put 10 good-sized scoops of ice cream in the blender, and then crunched up four of the little candy bars (I did a few with the rolling pin and a few by hand -- the rolling pin pulverized the candy bar but made it perfect for mixing. I like a little bigger chunks, so doing it by hand was better for me...). Add those in and set your blender to mix. I used a spoon, carefully staying away from the blades, to help it mix around a little better and voila! Butterfinger mix.



Are you hungry yet? :)

This made about three servings (my serving in the picture was the biggest one, and these are baby bowls). I took one more Butterfinger, broke it in a few places and sprinkled a little more on top because, like I said before, I like some occasional chunks in mine. Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmm! Took like 5 minutes and completely satisfied my craving.


Good? So good, in fact, he was too busy eating to smile for me. I was also thinking you could make this a bit healthier if you used frozen yogurt, and you could certainly substitute any of your favorite candy bars. Maybe for Valentine's Day I'll make the hubby a Kit-Kat mix...

No comments:

Post a Comment